Other Common Motor Vehicle Offenses

Criminal Defense Law Office of John L. Calcagni, III

Schedule a Consultation

Under Massachusetts law, there are other Motor Vehicle offenses for which a person may be charged criminally.   There is also a complex web of civil motor vehicle infractions that are not punishably criminally with potential terms of incarceration, probation, loss of license, or otherwise. 

However, if issued a citation and found responsible for a civil motor vehicle infraction, a motorist may be required to pay a civil assessment.  Responsible findings are reported to the Registry of Motor Vehicles and are reported on a motorist’s driving record. 

The more responsible findings that are reported, the more likely that a motorist may face an administrative license suspension imposed by the RMV.   Civil motor vehicle infractions are often charged in conjunction with OUI and other criminal motor vehicle offenses but may also be imposed individually such as when police stop a motorist and issue a ticket or citation.

Below is a list of common Motor Vehicle Offenses that a person may be charged with criminally under Massachusetts law.

  • Racing a Motor Vehicle (M.G.L. c.90, §17B)
  • Operating After Suspension or Revocation of License (M.G.L. c.90, §23) 
  • Leaving the Scene of an Accident Involving Property Damage (M.G.L. c.90, §24(2)(a))
  • Leaving the Scene of an Accident Involving Personal Injury and Death (M.G.L. c.90, §24(2)(a1/2)(1) and (2))
  • Refusing to Stop for an Officer OR Produce Documentation (M.G.L. c.90, §25)
  • Operating an Uninsured Vehicle (M.G.L. c.90, §34J)
  • Failure to have Ignition Interlock Device (M.G.L. c.90, §24S(a)) 
  • Tampering with Ignition Interlock Device (M.G.L. c.90, §24T)
  • Racing A Motor Vehicle (M.G.L. c.90, §24(2)(a))
  • Willful Obstruction of an Emergency Vehicle (M.G.L. c.89, §7)
  • Improper Registration of a Motor Vehicle to Avoid Taxes/Premiums (M.G.L. c.90, §3½)
  • Overcrowded School Bus (M.G.L. c.90, §7B)
  • Operating without a License (M.G.L. c.90, §10)

Below is a list of common Civil Motor Vehicle Infractions that a person may be cited for under Massachusetts law.

  • Failure to Keep Right (M.G.L. c.89, §1)
  • Improper Passing on the Right (M.G.L. c.89, §2)
  • Marked Lane Violation (M.G.L. c.89, §4A)
  • Breakdown Lane Violation (M.G.L. c.89, §4B)
  • Failure to Pull Over for an Emergency Vehicle (M.G.L. c.89, §7A)
  • Failure to Yield at Intersection (M.G.L. c.89, §8)
  • Stop Sign Violation (M.G.L. c.89, §9)
  • Yield Sign Violation (M.G.L. c.89, §9)
  • Right-on-red Violation (M.G.L. c.89, §8)
  • Blocking an Intersection (M.G.L. c.89, §9)
  • Blocking or Failing to Stop at a Crosswalk (M.G.L. c.89, §11)
  • Operation of Unregistered Vehicle (M.G.L. c.90, §9)
  • License Plate Violations (M.G.L. c.90, §6)
  • Brakes, Lights, Horn, Exhaust and Mirror Violations (M.G.L. c.90, §7)
  • Child Car Seat Violation (M.G.L. c.90, §7AA)
  • Learners Permit Violation (M.G.L. c.90, §8A½)
  • Operating a Motor Vehicle Under Age 18 while Using a Mobile Phone (M.G.L. c.90, §8M)
  • Safety Glass Violation (M.G.L. c.90, §9A)
  • Non-Transparent Sunscreen Material/ Window Obstruction (M.G.L. c.90, §9D)
  • License or Registration not in Possession (M.G.L. c.90, §11)
  • Operating a Motor Vehicle while Using a Mobile Phone (M.G.L. c.90, §12A)
  • Seat Belt Violation (M.G.L. c.90, §13A)
  • Speeding (M.G.L. c.90, §17)
  • No Inspection Sticker (M.G.L. c.90, §20)
  • Possession of an Open Container while in a Motor Vehicle (M.G.L. c.90, §24I)
  • Failure to File an Accident Report (M.G.L. c.90, §26)
  • Failure to Report Injury to Cat/Dog (M.G.L. c.272, §80H)
  • Trespass with a Motor Vehicle (M.G.L. c.266, §121A)

A full and complete list of these criminal offenses and civil infractions can be found at: https://www.mass.gov/traffic-tickets

If you have been charged with any Motor Vehicle Offense in MA call (508) 213-9113 to schedule a free consultation with experienced Massachusetts Criminal Defense Lawyers of the Law Office of John L. Calcagni III, and learn the best way to proceed with your case.