Sex Crime Charges in New Bedford, Massachusetts
Sexual crimes are among the most heinous offenses known to the law. For this reason, convictions can lead to very harsh punishments to include a felony conviction, sex offender registration and lengthy jail sentences.
Why Hire Experienced Sex Crimes Lawyers
Sex crimes are most often prosecuted by very experienced prosecutors who trained in the investigation methods of sex crimes, interviewing techniques of sex assault victims, and the related disciplines of psychology, psychiatry, and medicine as these fields intersect with the law.
Most sex offense cases are thoroughly investigated by police detectives and criminal prosecutors working as a team.
Protocols exist for victims of sex offenses to undergo timely medical examinations to identify the presence or absence of injuries consistent with sex assault, as well as forensic evidence, all of which may be used in a criminal prosecution.
Complaining witnesses, especially minor children, are interviewed by forensic psychologists and/or psychiatrists as part of any sex crime investigation.
Because of the specialized nature of this crimes, it is imperative that a defendant charged with such an evidence team up with defense lawyer who is experienced in sex offense investigations, potentially has a background in sex offense prosecutions, and who has actual courtroom experience trying sex offenses cases.
This is absolutely required if a defendant is to have any hope of leveling the playing with the prosecution.
Sex offenses comes in various types and may involve both adult and child victims. Sex offenses against persons vary in severity ranging from many forms of unwanted or nonconsensual sexual touching to various forms of unwanted or nonconsensual sexual penetration.
Other forms of sex offenses involve the possession, creation or distribution of child pornography, certain crimes against children, and more.
Most sex crimes, particularly sex crimes against persons, are not witnessed or supported by any corroborating evidence. Unfortunately, this is a double-edged sword.
On one hand, a “he said she said” fact pattern is the best case scenario for any defendant facing a sex assault allegation. On the other hand, a credible victim, believed by a judge or jury, is sufficient for a criminal conviction.
Falsely accused of a sex crime?
There are many people who have been falsely accused of a sex crime, and wrongfully convicted based on false accusations. This underscores the importance of retaining a highly experienced sex assault defense attorney if you are under investigation or have been criminally charged with a sex crime.
If you have been charged with sex crime in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, call Massachusetts Sex Crime Defense Lawyer, John L. Calcagni III, today at (508) 213-9113 for a free consultation.
Sex Offenses in Massachusetts
- Statutory Rape
- Indecent Assault and Battery
- Aggravated Rape of a Child
- Assault with Intent to Commit Rape
- Enticement of a Child Under Age 16
- Inducing a Minor into Prostitution
- Living Off or Sharing Earning of Minor Prostitute
- Drugging a Person for Sexual Intercourse
- Enticing Away a Person for Prostitution or Sexual Servitude
- Engaging in Sexual Conduct for a Fee
- Trafficking of Persons for Sexual Servitude
- Inducing a Person Under 18 to have Sexual Intercourse
- Inducing a Child Under 18 via Electronic Communication to Engage in Prostitution, Human Trafficking or Commercial Sexual Activity
- Indecent Exposure
- Unnatural or Lascivious Acts
- Lewd, Wanton and Lascivious Act
- Open and Gross Lewdness and Lascivious Behavior
- Dissemination of Obscene Matter
- Possession of Child Pornography
- Engaging in Sexual Contact with an Animal
- Sex Offender Registration
If you have been charged or accused of a Sex Crime in Massachusetts and need an experienced, award winning criminal defense law firm to defend your rights, call (508) 213-9113 today to schedule a free consultation with top Massachusetts Criminal Defense Attorneys at the Law Offices of John L. Calcagni III.